PRESENTATION

Monday, February 1, 2010

Brandeis University

Because I am currently a junior enrolled in Deerfield High School, i have been looking around at colleges. The colleges I research are those that I might want to apply to. Brandeis University caught my attention. I kept studying Brandeis and realized that the history and backround of it could very well be incorperated into my research project for class...

Brandeis University was made for the Jewish Americans in 1948 founded by Louis Brandeis. This college was very important to have because of the discrimination that Jews had gone through. This college wasn't only for male Jews, but female as well. This wasn't popular for admissions during those times because of women's rights and all those shenanigans. Although Brandeis permits entrance with freedom of religion, the academic calendar and the Jewish religious calendar are combined. In addition to that, the University has a number of programs designed specifically to serve the broader Jewish community. From the American History database I learned these facts, I read that, "Today, Brandeis students are drawn from more than 100 countries and represent more than a dozen different faiths. As a nonsectarian university that takes pride in its Jewish identity and is open to students, teachers, and staff of every nationality, religion, and political orientation, Brandeis affirms America's heritage of cultural, ethnic, and religious diversity, equal access to opportunity, and freedom of expression."

"Brandeis University." American History. ABC-CLIO, 2010. Web. 31 Jan. 2010.

4 comments:

  1. This idea of the Jewish calender influencing their academic calender is very intresting. One of religions major conflicts is whether it should be allowed to influence education. However I wonder if Brandeis is a private university. I ask this because the idea of seperation of church and state is strongly enforced. However, I had never before thought that private colleges were a loop-hole to this seperation of church and state. It is, however, very interesting that there are others who do not follow Judaism, yet want to attend a school that prides itself on its "Jewish Identity"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your post overall, but I feel like you didn't have enough analysis. I agree with DSerlin that it is unusual for the Jewish calendar to be included in their academic calendar, and I wonder how that affects the non-Jewish students that attend Brandeis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your use of the word shenanigans. That made me laugh a bit. This school sounds cool, because its completely different from most that I've heard of with its calander coninciding with all jewish holidays. Cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like how you conected your research topic to a perspective college. i think that you should talk about the school more. i dont get how the university has religious diversity, when they have a jewish calender worked into the school calendar. i agree with dSerlin when she wrote that it is "very interesting that there are others who do not follow Judaism, yet want to attend a school that prides itself on its "Jewish Identity". if they show so much pride in being jewish how do they get other people to attend the college if they are not jewish?

    ReplyDelete